19 November 2013

Yuppies - "s/t"





Nebraskan noise punk 4-piece Yuppies' new s/t LP is a very quick, fast and abrasive musical blast to the face. The band has been around since 2007, but this is the first I'm hearing of them. And I gotta say, the first time I listened to this album, I just sat back in awe. From the very weird somber and then suddenly explosive first two tracks to the weird guitar noise that penetrates both songs (and the whole record for that matter), I was just immediately drawn in. Each track provides doses and doses of pure punk strangeness. Every time the band gives you a very accessible moment, they have it immediately followed with something stranger. Yuppies' frontman Jack Begley's odd monotone mix of screams, yells and spoken word is very polarizing at first, but the more and more I listened to this record I fell in love with the man's strange vocals. They fit the incredibly polarizing sounds that the band produces as well absolutely perfect. It's definitely a mind ripping musical experience that I recommend everyone try. Stream it right up above, and buy it if you feel so inclined. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment