25 July 2012

INTERVIEW: B L A C K I E


*Photo by Carmen Cheung

Alright, we're very happy to show you guys our latest interview. We did an interview with the wonderful Michael Lacour, also known under his stage name B L A C K I E. As far as we are concerned, B L A C K I E is one of the best names in experimental hip hop music in this modern age. We can't wait for to read our interview with him. It's up there with some of our favorite interviews (SSLYBY, Have A Nice Life/Dan Barrett, Meat Mist). Enjoy!


B L A C K I E Facebook Page
B L A C K I E Website





Me: Please state your name, occupation and location.

B L A C K I E: MICHAEL LACOUR, UPSETTER, LA PORTE TEXAS.


Me: So, you’re releasing a new album this year, Gen. Tell us about that.

B L A C K I E: It is out now. It is called GEN. It is the first complete full length I have released since 2008.


Me: You have a very abrasive sound on your tracks and in your live performances. What’s your inspiration for that?

B L A C K I E:  I like to feel the music. I got to hear it distorted & blown up or else it is boring to me.

Me: There’s a video of you on the internet throwing a guy’s beer during a performance at SXSW. Do you have something against cheap beer?

B L A C K I E: I do not drink so I tend to do that if I see anyone drinking during a show.


Me: When did you first start recording music?

B L A C K I E:  I started playing around with tape decks when I was like 12 or something. Making little loops and rapping over them.


Me: If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be?

B L A C K I E: Probably Anne Teresa De Keersmaker.



Me: When you play a show, you perform with a giant amp wall behind you. How loud does that get?

B L A C K I E: It depends on whats going on with it. Sometimes it gets crazy, sometimes its not working 100%, sometimes I have to play shows without it. I have to feel the music, I like it really really loud.


Me: Do you make your own beats?

B L A C K I E: Yes, I make all the tracks.


Me: Is their anyone who you think you sound like?

B L A C K I E: Richard Wayne Penniman.



Me: As a musician, what do you think your biggest accomplishment has been?

B L A C K I E: I have not stopped.


Me: Any closing comments?

B L A C K I E: THANK YOU! SPREAD FREEDOM EVERYWHERE










No comments:

Post a Comment