23 January 2012

REVIEW: Gonjasufi


REVIEW: Gonjasufi-MU.ZZ.LE
Genre: Experimental  Hip-Hop, Beat Production.


Rating: 8.5/10


Hello mere mortals. Welcome to MTYMNHKA. We still need interns btw...

Gonjasufi is a popular underground MC that really grabbed the world when he was featured on a Flying Lotus song and released a very well received debut record A Sufi And A Killer. After The 9th Inning EP that came out in November or so, Sufi has released a mini-album MU.ZZ.LE. Hey, what can I say? I like it.

Sufi continues to make a very interesting impression using vocal effects, amazing beats and production, and guitar appearances. The lo-fi production style reminds me of the Lavinia's Hands tape made by Living Ghost last year. The songs are very catchy and admirable. I like the fact that there are some 60's influences here too. "The Blame" reminds me of White Album-era Beatles. I actually like this album more than many hip-hop albums I've heard in a while.

While a lot of people do complain with this album that the songs are far too short, I kinda disagree. I think the songs are short and sweet and they hold my interest wonderfully. I enjoy it a lot. Definitely a favorite of the year so far. Good job again Gonjasufi.

No comments:

Post a Comment